Summertime is all about feeling the sun on your face and getting fresh air. And it’s coming to an end here soon in our area. But, many people stay inside and miss out on what nature has to offer. Here are some fun outdoor fitness activities that you and the family can get out there and enjoy.
Even better than enjoying a summer day is enjoying it with someone else. Parents sometimes send the kids outside but don’t go out themselves.
Create a family activity day at least once a week. This is the time when all of the family spends time together sharing a fun activity outdoors. The name of the game is to make physical activity part of your day.
Let everyone choose a fun activity that they like and add it to a list. Each time you have an activity day, take one suggestion from the list.
What outdoor fitness activities can you do as a family that will be rewarding physically and mentally?
Here are some you can begin with.
- Bicycling – If everyone doesn’t know how to ride a bike, this is the perfect time to learn. Bike riding builds up the leg muscles and also your cardiovascular fitness. You can ride and talk about your day or take a leisurely ride to the park. You can even ride your bike to school!
- Basketball – All you need for this is a hoop and a ball. Have a family game after dinner or school/work. Divide into teams and play for points. Even better, play games to see who has to do the most chores that week.
- Hiking – Explore the outside world with your family. Even though you are having fun and exploring, you are burning tons of calories when you hike. And, you get to learn about nature. Combine it with a camping trip for a fun weekend getaway. Don’t forget your camera.
- Swimming – You don’t even have to have your own pool. If there is a neighborhood pool or one at the gym, use it. Doing laps is an easy way to gain muscle tone all over your body while you have fun. Take a water aerobics class as a family. There is no shock to your joints so it benefits both young and old alike. Parents can finally keep up with their kids.
- Backyard games – One of the often neglected parts of the house is your own back yard. Act like a kid again. Get out there and play kickball, volleyball, soccer, flag football and many other games that will make you sweat. Make great memories too.
There are lots of outdoor fitness activities that the family can do together. Start with the suggestions above and keep adding to the list. Here are some family fitness motivation tips too!
What type of fitness activities do you enjoy as a family?
Leave a Reply