Exercise is not only great for physical aspects like losing weight, building muscle and becoming lean but it’s also great when it comes to mental health.
Today’s Tip: Benefits of exercise on mental health
1) Helps to control emotions especially when sad or feeling down about something.
2) Helps to manage stress and relieve anxiety. Less tension should help put you in a better mood too. Once I get moving it feels like I’m just releasing all stress which leads me into the next benefit
3) Helps with your ability to think straight and process stuff. I definitely seem to retain more when I can focus better.
4) Helps to keep you more relaxed and fall asleep faster. I usually sleep better too! A good night’s sleep is always good for your health.
5) Helps with confidence and strength. I feel strong and more confident while also proving to myself I have the discipline to keep going no matter what obstacle I might encounter.
Exercise appears to help with various health issues so it’s highly recommended (but of course you’ll want to check with your physician before starting any fitness program). I personally find that exercise definitely helps with my mental state and I experience many of the benefits listed above.
Hey some say exercise might even make you smarter! Hmm maybe this means that I should workout hard before the scuba exam that I am so nervous to take while in Jamaica. I don’t retain stuff well and it takes me a while to grasp things so maybe I’ll hit the resort gym after the class instruction and before the test. Hmmmm
Here are some more benefits of exercise on mental health and other hidden benefits of exercise
Have you personally found that exercise helps your mental health and if so in what way?
P.S. The book Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain sounds like a great read. Have you read it yet?