National Eat Your Vegetables Day
Today, June 17th is National Eat Your Vegetables Day. This month is all about veggies and fruits for me because I have been juicing.
So it’s the perfect month to do it and I didn’t even realize it. Some of my all time favorite vegetables include asparagus, steamed broccoli, Brussels sprouts and cooked carrots.
Need to get more calcium in your diet? Look for greens, dark leafy greens are best. Any of these would be great though.
- Swiss Chard
And the list goes on. Add carrots to the above to keep your heart healthy!
Ways to Eat Your Vegetables
- Start juicing.
- Add veggies to smoothies
- Add veggies to meals (they are yummy in omelets or scrambled eggs)
- Grill them.
Grilling veggies gives you a whole new taste and the char brings out an amazing flavor too. In the last week, we have grilled portobello mushroom caps, white mushrooms, red & yellow peppers, tomatoes and onions. Delish!
Here’s a delicious vegetable roundup:
- Grilled Asparagus
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- How about some veggie waffles?
- Harvest Root Vegetable Pie
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- Go visit The Lean Green Bean. She has a ton of awesome recipes! She’s also the queen of food prep if you are interested.
- Crispy Vegetable Lasagna (this is from Giada de Laurentiis….and speaking of Giada, you don’t want to miss the Grilled Scallops and Quinoa recipe I made of hers. To.die.for.)
Hope you enjoy!
Be sure to check out Agrilicious. They are at the heart of the food movement and provide an exciting way to take part in the local food experience. They feature over 100,000 local farms, farmers markets and much more.
Speaking of Farmer’s Markets, we just found a new one locally and I hope to get there to check it out this Friday. There is nothing like a home grown tomato. Right?
What is your favorite vegetable?